Tuesday, September 11, 2007

cleaning class

today i had to stay longer at work because a representative from the company where we buy our cleaning products came in to teach us the proper method in which we should be cleaning. (tomorrow I'll e learning how to serve people and even though i don't serve people at my cleaning job, and the fact that I'm suppose to leave at 12 because I'm working the weekend, i still have to be there from 1-4. yay.)

turns out i already clean pretty much in the acceptable manner whereas other ladies admitted they didn't. i was so surprised because Belgian ladies are always cleaning<; turns out, their point of view is "if the floor is clean then the room is clean!" which i already gathered from observing_____.i noticed before she spends SO much time cleaning the floor yet her house still looks dingy. its because she doesn't have time to bother with anything else after washing floors for hours.

while in the class the rep asked our previous working backgrounds. she wanted to know if we cleaned for a living in the past. i gave my answer and the head cleaning lady told the rep that "i don't speak dutch that good" i was furious! i hate when people feel the need to excuse me or apologise for me. other people aren't stupid. they can obviously tell that I'm speaking text book dutch and not a regional dialect which, by process of elimination, would make me a person not from Belgium.
i should be the only one who apologises or gets to lean on the excuse that its not my first language. but i wasn't in trouble. i answered correctly. the woman understood me perfectly. there was no need to point fingers at me.
its at times like that when i just want to smack the person. or yell at them. or just get up and leave. if my dutch is so damn bad for her to have to let the other person know then why was i in the class?
then i had to be the "special" one through out the class and be asked if i was following OK. like I'm a retard.
yeah. i felt good.

No comments: