Thursday, September 28, 2006

Long time

Hey,


its been quite a while since I last wrote. I know I know, I'm bad.

I had spent 11 days in the states visiting everyone (hi mom and dad!) and had the awesomest time ever.
some highlights from my trip include:

*not having to share a bed with bear, the gazillion ton german Shepard
*the body worlds exhibit at the Boston science museum
*camping in Maine
*thunder hole in bar harbor, me
*dunkin donuts ice coffee everyday
*hanging out with my friends at the only bar in north attleboro
*hanging and drinking at Dave and busters
*eating amazing Thai food with my fam
*seeing everyone I missed again

my first week back to Belgium was pretty uneventful. I took naps during the day and basically acted like a bum. It was fun, except for the headache I had. During the weekend we went to ikea to look at new beds. We found something we like but haven't purchased anything yet. We also visited our friends pieter-jan, Vanessa, janne, Thomas and Pedro. The boys went to an exhibit about the circa1300 war between west Flanders and the French while we girls did some shopping at molecule, a department type warehouse kind of store. Its not pronounce molecule, like the science word but more like (mall-e-cool-a). during Saturday evening Gregory, dimitri and I went to some little fair in a neighboring village where an old lady sang crazy folk songs and we drank beer. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be but we had fun making fun of the locals that were wearing crazy shirts in support of the political parties they were supporting for the upcoming elections. I'm not allowed to vote, and for the Belgians its not a right but an obligation. If they don't vote they get hanged, or fined or some form of punishment bestowed upon them. I prefer not having to since I don't know what anyone goes for anyone. All I know is that the dude that's supposed to be finding me a job is running and apparently that's how his particular party generally wins; by handing out jobs so people feel obligated to vote for them? I don't know, I don't care. gregorys fam is voting for him; I think I'd vote against him just because I haven't seen anything materialize yet!!!

this week has been a bit more eventful. I went to the werkwinkel, otherwise known as the workshop in English for a consultation with my werkwinkel helper guy that's been appointed to me. He helps people find jobs. Its a government run place and you also must go there if you're unemployed and receiving checks, which I am not but I AM unemployed and wish to work. So he helped me look for big wig names in the funeral business to help get my foot in the door and also set me up with a new course to take. So today I had to go to my first lesson. Unfortunately, I didn't know I was actually going to be attending class. A different man from another office called, and wrote an e-mail telling me to meet with this other woman in yet another location about the class and the class will start on October 2 blah blah. Ok so dimitri was kind enough to drive me to my 8.45am appointment this morning and was waiting outside when the woman says to me "yeah, take that seat there and you'll sit in on this class. la de da de" and I was like shit! I didn't know I was actually going to be taking the class today so I had to run downstairs and tell dimitri to pick me up in 2 hours! What a mess.
but the class went pretty good.

tonight I should be going to spinning with gregory's sister-in-law. We were suppose to go on Tuesday but that didn't happen; she's so unreliable with the dates. It makes me crazy. So cross your fingers I don't die tonight as its been a really super long time since I last went.
and those American donuts will do murder on your thighs.

No comments: